Cocktail lexicon

Cocktail glasses

Cocktails could be served in any glass, but only the right cocktail glass gives the cocktail the special touch. The cocktail glasses should be well chilled. Therefore, calmly put shiny clean glasses in the freezer the night before. An elegant cocktail looks most attractive in a designer glass with a long slender stem; on the other hand, a small cocktail "on the rocks" based on various spirits is best served in a stout tumbler, often called an old-fashioned glass.

Is there a difference between a highball and a Collins glass? Are those V-shaped martini glasses even useful? What size do you need for a coupe?

Regardless of what you prepare in them, the right cocktail glasses for you are a matter of taste. The first rule of thumb is that you should choose a glass that you also enjoy drinking from, because it's all about enhancing the whole experience. When you drink from an antique crystal glass, there's something special about the drink, and it tastes better too.

beer glass

Beer glass
A classic beer glass or beer mug as you know it. Usually provided with a handle and the glass rather thick and heavy.

Champagne flute

Champagne flute
The slender flute of the elegant glass makes the champagne and other mousse drinks bubble longer.

The filling volume of most champagne glasses is between 150 ml and 350 ml.

Cocktail glass

Cocktail glass
Cocktail glass as a generic term generally refers to a drinking glass that is used almost exclusively for cocktails. Different shapes have evolved for different groups of drinks.

Cocktail bowl

Cocktail bowl (coupette or coupe glass)
A coupette has the classic shape of a cocktail bowl. It consists of a base, stem and a bulbous bowl, which has a large opening. Among other things, short drinks are drunk from this.
Coupe glasses are suitable for cocktails served "up", that is, shaken or stirred with ice and then served chilled or without ice


Glass punch
A punch bowl for many mix drinks, used to mix and provide larger quantities of alcohol and fruit.


A goblet is a drinking glass with a base and a stem. This type of stemmed glass is basically composed of four parts: Rim, bowl, stem and feet.

Goblets, also known as chalices, are another multi-purpose glass that can be seen in upscale restaurants. They are usually thicker to insulate the warm or cool, thick drinks served in them.

Grogg glass

Especially for rum, a must for rum lovers. Also often used for other warm drinks, such as tea with rum.

Hurricane glass

Hurricane Glass (Balloon Glass) (Fancy Glass)
A hurricane glass is a tall, bulbous, curved drinking glass with a short stem used for serving cocktails. It is particularly suitable for coladas, batidas and other tropical or Caribbean fancy drinks such as the eponymous Cocktail Hurricane.

Colorful and eye-catching cocktails with beautiful decoration on the glass, are perfectly accentuated by these cocktail glasses.

Copper mug

Copper mug
Cold copper increases the amount of bubbles in carbonated ginger beer. This maximizes the fizz in your Moscow Mule, which not only makes the drink more aromatic, but also deepens the flavor of ginger beer. Last but not least, the cooled copper cup affects the lime juice.

The filling volume of these cups is between 350 ml and 500 ml.

Highball glass

Long drink glass (highball glass) (Collins glass)
A large, straight-sided tumbler for long drinks, often referred to as a Collins Glass.

Technically, there is a difference between a highball and a Collins glass. A highball is a tall, slender glass. A Collins is simply a taller glass. Collins glasses tend to be taller than a highball, but only because of the added height. The terms in the beverage world are interchangeable, so you don't necessarily have to buy both glasses for your home.

The filling volume is usually between 300 ml and 500 ml.

Lowball glass, cocktail glasses

Lowball glass
The old-fashioned glass, also known as a rocks glass and lowball glass, is a short tumbler used for serving spirits such as whiskey neat or with ice cubes. It is also typically used to serve certain cocktails, such as the Old Fashionedfrom which it takes its name.

A single Rocks glass is suitable for anything drunk neat, any spirit on ice, although it can also be used for stirred, chilled spirit cocktails served "down", i.e. chilled but in a glass without a stem.

A Double Rocks glass, sometimes called Double Old-Fashioned, should only be about 60 ml / two ounces larger than a Single Rocks glass, not twice as large.
The filling volume is a maximum of 300 ml and a maximum of 470 ml for a Double Rocks glass.

Margarita glass

Margarita glass
Margarita glasses (for margaritas), a variant of the cocktail bowl used especially in the United States.

Self-explanatory for this glass is the typical Margarita with a stylish salt rim. Another mix would be the White Dragon. The drinks in the Margarita glass are always served without ice and without a straw.

Martini glass

martini glass (cocktail tip)
With its conical shaped bowl and long stem, the martini glass is considered the classic cocktail glass of all.

Mostly used for martinis and margaritas, you could probably continue list of cocktails forever. Because on the one hand, there are simply many classics in the so well-known silhouette that everyone knows, and on the other hand, drinks in these cocktail glasses just look elegant and great. In a martini glass fit about 150 ml. In the martini glass, all drinks are served without ice and without a straw. Due to the triangular, pointed shape of the goblet, this glass is also sometimes called Cocktail tip called.

The filling volume of a Martini glass is usually between 150 ml and 250 ml.

Nick Nora Glass

Nick & Nora Glass
Nick and Nora glasses are beginning to be as common in cocktail bars as coupes. Nick and Noras are more bell-shaped and fall somewhere between a coupe glass and a very small wine glass.

Fruit brandy glass

Fruit brandy glass
Unlike the shot glass, it has a long stem and a small belly to hold back the alcohol sharpness and allow the fruity flavors of the fruit brandies to gather and develop on the palate and nose.

Pint glass

Pint glass
Conical (or sleever) glasses, also called V-shaped glass. Used mostly for beer cocktails.

pony glass

Pony glass
A small, stemmed glass with a capacity of about 30 ml / 1 ounce, similar to a shot glass with a stem. Used for liqueurs or brandies, therefore more often called liqueur glass.

red wine glass

Red wine glass
The red wine glass, usually bulbous, so that the red wine can develop better.

However, red wine glasses are not exclusively for red wine, but are also used for cocktails with sparkling wine, champagne and liqueur cocktails. For gin cocktails with gin, tonic water, prosecco and fresh strawberries, you can also use a large, bulbous wine glass.

Shot glass

Liquor glass
A small glass, also called a shot glass, used to down drinks or pure spirits in one go. Larger shot glasses are suitable for double quantities and are used for shooters.

The traditional shot glass, which is rather stubby and wide, has a line around it. It should never be filled to the brim and you should look that it is big enough so that you do not spill anything.

Sling glass

Sling glass
The Sling cocktail glass is an elegant highball. This tall, handmade glass is decorated with the Singapore Sling Cocktail and is the ideal vessel for this vintage drink. The medium volume offers the possibility of serving long drinks with ice.

Snifter glass

Snifter glass
A snifter (also called brandy snifter, brandy glass, brandy bowl, or cognac glass) is a type of stemmed glass, a glass with a short stem whose vessel has a wide bottom and a relatively narrow top. It is most commonly used for serving aged brown spirits such as bourbon, brandy and whiskey.

The filling volume ranges from 150 ml to 650 ml.

stout glass

Stout glass
The stout glass is most often taken for Guinness or Craft Beer. Its shape is unique for a beer glass, but immediately recognizable.

Tall glass

Tall glass
Also called a s.a. highball glass, it is a glass tumbler used for serving "tall" cocktails and other mixed drinks that contain a large amount of non-alcoholic mixer and are poured over ice.

Tiki glass

Tiki glass
Tiki mugs are also large ceramic drinking vessels for cocktails that originated in tiki bars and tropical themed restaurants. The term "tiki mug" is a collective term for these sculptural drinking vessels, even though they vary in size and usually have no handles.

Cognac swill

Brandy glass (Cognac-Pivot)
The traditional brandy glass has a short stem and a large, bulbous bowl that tapers towards the rim. Its shape makes the glass easy to warm with the palm of the hand; the narrow rim prevents the bouquet from escaping.

white wine glass

White wine glass
A slim glass, especially for white wines.

pitcher carafe pitcher

Pitcher | Carafe
Many designations but clearly what the pitcher, sometimes called pitcher glass, is used for.

Ideal for mixes of fruit and alcohol, but also suitable for many non-alcoholic fruit drinks or juices. A must have in every home and bar.